John D. Russell's practice is concentrated in the area of insurance coverage. He has extensive experience in the analysis and litigation of complex coverage matters.
John provides clients with opinions and analysis of coverage issues and extra-contractual exposures under personal, commercial and professional line policies including analysis of auto, truckers, general liability, excess, umbrella, directors and officers, errors and omissions, aviation, garage keepers, environmental and government liability policies.
The vast majority of John's cases involve third party commercial insurance coverage issues related to serious bodily injury and property damage claims. A substantial number of his cases deal with insurance coverage issues arising from construction defect claims. A significant portion of his practice is also dedicated to commercial and personal auto policy claims with an emphasis on uninsured motorist coverage issues.
John has successfully litigated coverage matters throughout the state of Florida at the trial and appellate levels. He has an extensive federal court practice and is admitted to practice and litigates in the Northern, Middle and Southern U.S. District Courts of Florida as well as the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. These matters include declaratory judgment actions, breach of contract and extra-contractual actions.
John is AV rated and has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Florida Trend Legal Elite and Super Lawyers.
John is a member of the Florida Defense Lawyers Association (former chair of the Insurance Coverage Committee) and the Defense Research Institute. He is also a member of The Florida Bar, Hillsborough County Bar and Federal Bar Associations.
- J.D., University of Illinois (1994)
- M.B.A., University of Illinois (1994)
- B.S., Finance, University of Illinois (1990)
- Defense Research Institute
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Claims Litigation and Management Alliance
HONORS & AWARDS
- Martindale-Hubbell™ AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer
- The Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law (2013-Present)
- Florida Super Lawyers, Insurance Coverage (2011-Present)
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite 2010
- Prevailed in Federal Court matter addressing coverage obligations of insurers for eight figure claims from construction and real estate development litigation.
- Successfully represented insurer at trial and appellate levels on application of policy exclusions for $30,000,000 third party claim involving commercial warehouse fire allegedly caused by insured.
- Obtained summary judgment in Federal Court on issue of first impression involving applicable coverage limits for negligent infliction of emotional distress claims.
- Successfully represented insurer at trial and appellate levels on uninsured motorist claim for coverage and challenge to selection form.
- Prevailed at trial in Federal Court regarding coverage for third party claim for destruction of equipment used to move marine drilling platforms.
- Obtained summary judgment in Federal Court declaratory action regarding coverage for tortious interference and unfair business practices under personal and advertising injury coverages.
- Materials for in-house use for insurance clients on a variety of issues related to the handling of insurance claims under Florida law, applications, misrepresentations and rescission actions and the coverage issues raised under specific policy sections and coverage’s.
- Client seminars on issues related to Policy Conditions and Estoppel, Misrepresentation and Rescission, Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage, Trucking Insurance and Mandatory Coverage, Good Faith Claims Handling and Bad Faith Prevention.
- Seminars on Uninsured Motorist Coverage and the Claims Administration Statute.